среда, 28 марта 2018 г.

How to Make a Minky Rag Quilt

How to Make a Minky Rag Quilt

Sew a minky rag quilt either as a lap quilt or a new baby quilt. This super soft quilt is great for the beginning quilter. A simple DIY craft tutorial idea.


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

There is something about snuggling under your favorite blanket and watching a movie, reading a book, or taking a nap. Most of my kids have their favorite blanket but my daughter has been asking me to make a quilt just for her. She has a quilt that her Grandma made her when she was born, but that poor thing is barely a blanket anymore. it is full of holes and I am pretty sure there isn’t an ounce of batting left in it. That quilt has been very well loved.


It is only fair that my daughter has a favorite blanket to snuggle too, so I pulled out my sewing machine and got to work.


My inspiration came fromMia Dolce Originals. Isn’t this a gorgeous rag quilt?


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

The quilt I made really was a group effort. I brought it to my Mom’s house for a fun sewing day and got a lot of help from my Mom and my SIL. Becuase of their help, we were able to knock it out pretty quick.


To plan for the size of quilt I wanted to make, I referenced this chart for Calculation of Required Quilt Squares by Jubilee Homespun Inspiration. This chart will show you how many squares you will need for the size of quilt you are wanting to make. I went with the small (30″ x 54″) quilt, and 6-inch size squares.


Fabric Used:


  • 2 1/2 Yards Minky
  • 2 1/2 Yards Flannel (used for the batting)
  • 2 1/2 yards Cotton
    • split into 5 different patterns so 1/2 Yard of each pattern

Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

Click through to the next page for the Minky Rag Quilt Tutorial!


TCBS-show-me-more-1

Begin by cutting all of the fabric into 6-inch squares. That includes the minky, flannel, and cotton prints. Before sewing, I found it cut all of the fabric into


Tip: Layer all of the pieces before you begin sewing so the stacks can be quickly grabbed. Layer -> Cotton print facing down, flannel, minky facing up.


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

Sew an X, corner to corner on each square. I made a chain of squares, not cutting them apart until I stitched through all of the squares. This is a big time saver. Then do the same thing, sewing the stitch across the opposite corners.


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

The minky fabric sheds like crazy when you are cutting and sewing. Those little fibers get everywhere and float around in the air. We all had a good laugh when mom pulled out a mask to wear, those pesky little fibers kept going her nose. It was funny, but a great solution!


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

After my mom had enough of those little fibers she passed the task on to my SIL.


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft

When all of the squares are sewn with the X, lay them out on the ground to lay out the pattern making sure that no duplicate squares are laying next to each other.


Sew the layered squares together in rows, making a 5/8 inch seam. Then stitch the rows together, matching up the seams on each row and keeping the seams all on the same side of the quilt.


Minky Rag Quilt | DIY | Craft Tutorial Ideas | Beginner | Easy Sew | Handmade | Soft


Fringed Edge


When all of the squares and rows are sewn together it will look like you are done, but not quite. One of the best parts of rag quilts is the fringed edge around each square of the blanket. To get this effect, take a sharp pair of scissors to the side of the quilt with the seams and make little cuts down to the stitch line. I cut about every 1/3 inch. This is a bit time consuming, but totally worth the finished look. Then when you wash it all of those raw edges


The final step is to wash and dry the quilt. All of those edges will fluff and separate and become super cute and soft!


I absolutely love how this minky rag quilt turned out I just know that my daughter is going to love it! Hopefully, I can wait until Christmas to give it to her.


Are you going to make a minky rag quilt for you, or someone else? What colors will you choose? Share and leave a comment below.


SAVE HOW TO MAKE A MINKY RAG QUILT TO YOUR FAVORITE DIY PINTEREST BOARD!


And let’s be friends on Pinterest so you can see all the DIY projects I’m pinning!


You Might Also Like:


Original article and pictures take thecraftyblogstalker.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий