среда, 28 марта 2018 г.

Cotton Branches ~ DIY Farmhouse Decor

Cotton Branches ~ DIY Farmhouse Decor

I’m all about penny-pinching, and you know I love the rustic farmhouse style. When I wanted to add a bit of nature to my decor I thought of purchasing a few cotton branches from an online source. Then I found they were $10 a piece (that’s for one measly branch!), I said to myself, “It’s DIY time.”


DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches with Video Tutorial by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches with Video Tutorial by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

To say that I’m stoked to make a vase full of cotton branches and a wreath for less than $4 is an understatment. Woo hoo! Who doesn’t love to save that kind of money? You also get the satisfaction of creating your own decor.


Want to make some of your own? I’ve got three short and sweet video tutorials that will show you how.


DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches - A Video Tutorial by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches - A Video Tutorial by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

Here is what you’ll need:


  • bag of 200 jumbo cotton balls ($1.88 at Walmart)
  • roll of brown floral tape (found in craft stores – mine was $1.56 from local florist)
  • low temp glue gun/glue sticks (if you use a high temp gun, be careful!!)
  • brown paper lunch bag or craft paper
  • brown ink pad/shoe polish/stain – whatever you have on hand
  • scissors
  • small branches and tiny twigs
  • grapevine wreath – I find mine at thrift stores already decorated for 50 cents, then tear them apart)

Materials for Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Materials for Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

I’m excited to have these video tutorials because it saves me from taking a zillion different pictures and trying to get across the technique in photo form. This was our first attempt (my 12-year-old and I), so bear with us as we learn!


In this first video, you’ll need a tree/bush branch and smaller diameter twig. Typically a cotton branch has an alternate structure where branches are on opposing sides like this:


Whorled Leaf Design Example | Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Whorled Leaf Design Example | Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

My branches and twigs came from my back yard and did not have that alternate pattern, so I made it myself using piece of twig and floral tape. Watch the video for a demonstration.



Now we’ve got our branches and will move on to the cotton tufts. Take yourself back to the good old days of covering your text books with a paper sack cover. You’re going to take your lunch sack and cut down one corner and cut off the bottom, so that it lays open like this:


Cutting Paper Bag of Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Cutting Paper Bag of Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

Take your scissors and rough cut a 3″ square. Once you have your square, fold it in half in both directions. This will create a faux vein look in your bud leaves. To make the best use of my time I did all my cutting, folding, and staining at once. The next video demonstrates doing one leaf being created.



When I first started making the leaves I tried a fringed leaf like this:


Closeup Cotton Bud by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Closeup Cotton Bud by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

And then also just a rounded leaf like this (as shown in the video):


Closeup Cotton Bud by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Closeup Cotton Bud by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

I found I preferred the second version, but included a mixture of them in my vase display because when you look at a real cotton branches, there are two layers of leaves and the outside set is fringed. You could even do a double layer if you feel so inclined – it would create awesome texture.


Vase of DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Vase of DIY Farmhouse Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

Now we’ve got our branch and leaves, so now we need to add the cotton. I used jumbo sized cotton balls because that’s what I found, but any size will do, you will just need more to make them the size that I did. For a bloomed bud, I used 2-3 balls, but for a closed bud, I just used one. Varying the size makes them look more natural. Watch the next video on the method I use.



To make one branch from start to finish took about 10 minutes, once I got it down. So in hour’s time I got 6 branches for a vase full of farmhouse goodness.


If you’re interested in the wreath project, it’s the same method except for this I didn’t add little twigs to create that alternate pattern because the fresh cut branches I used already had a bit of alternate design. I also just glued the buds directly to the branch because I didn’t need to create as dramatic of difference.


Material for DIY Farmhouse Cotton Wreath by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Material for DIY Farmhouse Cotton Wreath by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

I like the wild and natural look wreath, but you could certainly fill it full to create a lush wreath.


Rustic Farmhouse Wreath with DIY Cotton Stems by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Rustic Farmhouse Wreath with DIY Cotton Stems by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

Cotton Branch Wreath Closeup by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Cotton Branch Wreath Closeup by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

I’m already having fun adding them here and there in different displays in my home. They add such a soft, natural element that will last for years to come. (as long as my cat doesn’t get the better of them – ahem)


Blue Stoneware Pitcher with DIY Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Blue Stoneware Pitcher with DIY Cotton Branches by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

And I can use them to help stage pieces for my shop. Double score!


Rustic Farmhouse Table by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com
Rustic Farmhouse Table by Prodigal Pieces | prodigalpieces.com

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. I hope you have fun creating your own farmhouse cotton branches. I’d love to see pictures of your projects!


blog signature

More farmhouse style projects like my cotton branches:


DIY Barn Wood Shutters from Pallets by Prodigal Pieces www.prodigalpieces.com #prodigalpieces

DIY Faux Farmhouse Barn Beam Ceiling by Prodigal Pieces www.prodigalpieces.com #prodigalpieces
DIY Faux Farmhouse Barn Beam Ceiling by Prodigal Pieces www.prodigalpieces.com #prodigalpieces

Time to party!! These ladies have put together a vast array of DIY projects for you to feast your eyes on. To maximize all there is to offer, be sure to use the hashtag: #BestofDIY on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.


Best of DIY Link Party - Farmhouse Cotton Ball Branches by Prodigal Pieces www.prodigalpieces.com #prodigalpieces

Original article and pictures take prodigalpieces.com site

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий